Friday, June 3, 2011

On the plane to Dubai

"I am currently on the plane from Perth to Dubai. I have been sitting on this plane for 5 hours and still have 6 hours to go. It doesn't help that I have a killer throat and a throbbing headache that just won't go away. This plane flight has been constant turbulence with the seat belt sign going on and off, on and off...
The plane left at 6am Perth time and is scheduled to arrive at 5 pm Perth time, which is 1 pm Dubai time. So at least I get to travel through time to the past.
Oh and the weather report for Dubai states that it will be between 40 and 50 degrees C.
..
The plane is now experiencing some epic turbulence and I am feeling kind of sick and my hands are shaking. Is it too late to say that I'm not a good flier?
The pleasures of holidays, right?

*update*
It's now 12:30 Dubai time and the captain predicts 30 minutes until boarding so we are right on schedule. The temperature on the ground is 42 degrees Celsius. Gotta love the summer desert at midday. Nice and warm for sure."



I am now sitting comfortably at the hotel in Dubai at local time, 2:37 pm. Perth time is 6:37 pm. Did someone just say jetlag?
I had about 4 hours sleep last night at the most and didn't sleep a wink on the plane.
But anyway, now to talk about this incredible city.

First off, it's a giant city in the middle of the desert. There is sand just, everywhere. As you would expect. But despite it's boring, plain, sandy, rocky, dusty, humid, boiling, smoked filled appearance, it really is quite beautiful.

The airport was absolutely massive. So ridiculous. I was walking for ages just to grab my suitcase.
I met dad outside the airport and we jumped in a taxi. The cars here are left hand drive so I sat in the front on the right hand side and it was weird!
Driving down the 6 lane highway, I got to have a good look at the city. It looks incredible.
There are huge skyscrapers that make Perth look like a babies sandcastle and then there are small hovels just around the corner that make me feel like I'm playing Battlefield.
The sky cannot be seen at all because of all the smoke. It's just constant haze.
And the humidity levels are so fricken high!

But enough of this sitting in a hotel room. It's time to explore!

No comments:

Post a Comment

gogogo